The progress of the barrio and its frequent attacks by Muslim pirates and bandits had come to the knowledge of the Spaniards. In order to protect the barrio from these attacks, the Spaniards helped the people construct their camp called “Castle Cum Fortress”. The fortress called “Puerto Real” or Royal Fort was built on one of the land bridges and land strips connected to Baluti and Ungos. It closely resembled the Royal Castles in Spain and other countries in Europe. The castle was fenced with hard round logs and a deep moot surrounding it. The tall watch tower served as a view deck, which forewarned the inhabitants and provided them time to prepare against the attack of the pirates.
In 1803, Binangonan Del Ampon became part of Nueva Ecija, then of Laguna and later of Tayabas, now Quezon. During the same year, the land bridge connecting Baluti and Ungos disappeared due to high tides and rising sea water and eventually formed into a cove. This cove was used as shelter and hiding place of sea-going vessels and boats during harsh weather and the northeasterly winds.
In 1889, a large warehouse was constructed by the Spaniards at the eastern wing of the castle to provide livelihood and protection to the people. They used part of this warehouse to produce edible chuck of salt called “tap-ong”, while the remaining part of the warehouse was used by transients who fled the attack of bandits.
The origin of the name Real has no traditional folklore to base. Its name came into existence as a result of the landing of the Spanish forces in the place during the advent of its regime. The Spaniards made it part of its territory naming it “Puerto Real”, where the name of the Municipality was derived. Spanish galleons and ships docked at the Port, while reinforced forces were stationed at the nearby place of Binangonan Del Ampon.
During the Japanese occupation, its military forces landed in Real using destroyers, carriers and submarines. The place was just a small camp compared to that of Infanta where a Japanese Garrison was established, which is now the Central School of Infanta. At first, the Japanese employed psychological and sensitive persuasion among the inhabitants to win them to their side, but failed. The Japanese culture was introduced in the education of Filipino children, while in the forest, Filipino guerillas waged sporadic attacks and ambuscades of Japanese soldiers.
On 26 October 1944, American Forces arrived at the place and begun bombarding infrastructures constructed by the Japanese Army such as the pier, schools, the Tignoan Bridge and other facilities. From then on, local and organized group of guerrillas had continued attacks on the Japanese forces.
Groups of Guerrillas battling the Japanese in the area included the Hunters-ROTC, Marking Guerillas and the first Anderson Battalion.
In 1945, artillery was stationed in Real, which was along the Agos River, in support of the advancing Allied forces. It was at the later part of 1945, when all enemy forces in Infanta-Real area surrendered to the American forces.
On 15 December 1960, President Carlos P. Garcia signed Executive Order No. 410, creating Real as a Municipal District. This district comprised the barrios of Llavac, Cawayan, Capalong, Tignoan, Kiloloron, Lubayat and Pandan, all curved out from the Municipality of Infanta. Two (2) years after, on 22 June 1963, Real was made into a regular Municipality. More barrios were merged into it, which included Ungos, Maragondon, Poblacion 1, Poblacion 61, Malapad and Tanauan. Municipal officials were appointed under the leadership of Ricardo Macasaet as Mayor. Also, in 1963 the first political election was conducted and this was won by Lazaro A. Atendido Sr. as first elected Mayor of the Municipality of Real.
Today, Real is the most promising Municipality of the First District of Quezon Province being the future site of the proposed International Seaport, one of the planned mega projects at the Eastern Growth Corridor of Luzon.