This is in compliance to Executive Order No. 273 directing all national government offices and instrumentalities and local government units to take appropriate steps to ensure full implementation of the policies, strategies, programs and projects outline in the Philippine Plan for Gender-Responsive Development, and in consonance with Joint Memorandum Circular no. 2013-01 approving the implementing Rules and Regulations on the Localization of the Magna Carta of Women.
This initiative aims to inspire and support development policy and practice, for social justice and gender equality.
What is Gender and Development (GAD) – refers to the development perspective and process that is participatory and empowering equitable, sustainable, free from violence, respectful of human rights, supportive of self-determination and actualization of human potentials.
- This means giving more opportunities to those who have less and those who are historically and socially disadvantaged based on their needs for them to operate on a level playing field. “Focusing on the needs of women does not mean discriminating against men or putting them at a disadvantage”.
- UN-CEDAW (United Nations Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women) recognized the need to remove the biased against and provide special attention to women through affirmative action. It is a temporary measure that will be discontinued when the objectives of equality of opportunity and treatment have been achieved.
- Is the Philippine Government strategy for making agencies work for women’s empowerment and gender equality.
- It is the process of analyzing existing development paradigms, practices, and goals; assessing the implications for women and men of existing legislation policies, programs, projects, and mechanism.
- Is a goal of and an essential process for women’s advancement.
- Is a process and condition by which women mobilize to understand, identify, and overcome gender discrimination and achieve equality.
- Women become agents of development partner and not just a beneficiaries.
- A kind of participation in development that enables women to make decisions based on their own view and perspective.
- To empower women, access to information, training, technology, market, and credit is necessary.
Laws Protecting Women and Children
- Republic Act 9262- An Act Defining Violence Against Women And Their Children, Providing Their Protective Measures For Victims, Prescribing Penalties Therefore And Other Purposes.
- Republic Act 7877- Anti-Sexual Harassment Act Of 1995
An Act Declaring Sexual Harassment Unlawful In The Employment, Education Or Training Environment, And For Other Purposes.
- Republic Act 11313- Safe Spaces Act
An Act Defining Gender- Based Sexual Harassment In Streets, Public Spaces, Online, Workplace, And Educational Or Training Institutions, Providing Protective Measures And Prescribing Penalties.